Thursday, June 4, 2020

The Enchantress Returns by Chris Colfer

  The Enchantress Returns (The Land of Stories (2)): Chris Colfer ...

Series: The Land of Stories #2
Author: Chris Colfer
Page count: 517
Genre: Fantasy
Published by:Little Brown 
Published Date: August 6, 2013

Rating:
*****

Goodreads Description

After decades of hiding, the evil Enchantress who cursed Sleeping Beauty is back with a vengeance.

Alex and Conner Bailey have not been back to the magical Land of Stories since their adventures in The Wishing Spell ended. But one night, they learn the famed Enchantress has kidnapped their mother! Against the will of their grandmother, the twins must find their own way into the Land of Stories to rescue their mother and save the fairy tale world from the greatest threat it's ever faced.- Goodreads

What I liked:

Background
Growing up watching many Disney movies, I noticed that the villains were simply portrayed as the antagonist without really any explanation on their back stories or how they became the way they are. In The Enchantress Returns, Chris Colfer creates a whole other background story, starting from why and how a person became a villain in a story. He touches into the hidden truth behind the Enchantress's and the Evil Stepmother's actions which was what I really enjoyed reading about. It offered more clarification and a sense of closure as to why everything happened.

Main Characters:
I loved the main characters in this book! They're personalities were extraordinary and unique. I noticed that sometime authors tend to "blend" personalities a lot but this was absolutely not the case for this novel. Each character had a very different character and traits. 

I would say that I loved Red the most. Although she is portrayed as a dainty and bratty queen, among all the other serious characters she definitely stood out and added a good spark. 

I also really enjoyed Alex and Connors' differences. Alex is a more to the point type of person while Connor is definitely a jokester and is brutally honest in  the funniest way possible. Their differences posed a challenge but in the end, it was what made them Alex and Connor. 

Jack and Goldie were such a good pair!!! They were so cute together and I love how they decided to live their life at the end. I hope to see more of this amazing power couple in the next book and see where the story takes them.

Lastly, we have Froggy!!! I have always liked Froggy, since the first book, but I was so glad to see more of his character throughout this whole book. He is definitely one of the kindest and sweetest frogs out there.

Ending:
Okay that ending was extravagant. I won't spoil it, but it is definitely an ending worth sticking through the whole book for. I saw it coming but the in the moment feel still made my heart skip a beat.
 
Character Development:
I think everyone can agree that the person that developed the most was Red. She came from loving Jack to recognizing that Froggy genuinely loved her and picked him over someone whose heart did not belong to her and I am so proud of her. Red grew to see what love is.

While I loved red and Goldie's rivalry and it made me laugh out loud a few times, I was glad to see that their one sided competition, though not over, was toned down after all they been through. I was as if they both gained mutual respect. I am extra looking forward to see if a possible friendship could grow out of this rivalry.

What I disliked:

Relationship with Minor Characters:
I had to think really hard to find something I didn't enjoy in this book but the only thing I thought that could be improved is the readers' relationship with the minor characters such as the Kings and Queens. I feel like they weren't distinguished well because we didn't see much of them so it was hard to tell the difference between King Chase or King Chance. It became blurred, especially because their personalities were very, very similar.
















No comments:

Post a Comment